Bachelor of Business Administration
Bachelor of Business Management course of the MangaloreUniversity aims at preparing the students for a career in Management.The course is introduced for the first time by the college from the academic year 2008-09 to cater to the Changing needs of the rural community.
The course is divided in to six semesters and given below is the detailed syllabus:
- Principles of Management
- Principles of Economics
- Business & Society
- General Studies-Indian Constitution
- Kannada II/Hindi II
- Managerial Economics
- Business Organization
- Written Executive Communication
- General Studies-IC
- Business Mathematics
- Business Economics
- Commercial Law
- Marketing Management
- Financial Management
- Corporate Accounting
- Business Statistics
- Banking Theory & Practice
- Income Tax
- Computer Application
- Human Resource Management
- Corporate Accounting-II
- Organizational Behavior
- Company Law
- Export Management
- Cost Accounting
- Elective-I: Paper-I
- Elective-II: Paper-I
- Insurance & Risk Management
- Investment Management
- Cost & Management Accounting
- Auditing/Project Work
- Elective-I: Paper-I
- Elective-II: Paper-I
CAREER ORIENTED PROGRAMME IN AVIATION AND HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT [ AHM ]
The aviation industry offers 56.6 million jobs globally. The Indian aviation industry is estimated to become the third largest aviation market in the world by 2020.The airport is one of the most vital elements of the air transportation system. The aviation industry is expected to grow at a compounded annual growth rate of over 25%. Also, the hospitality industry is one of the fastest growing sectors in the country. This sector is expected to be the second largest employer in the world by 2019. No other industry offers career benefits and payment packages as lucrative as these industries. The hospitality sector has been gaining significant importance as far as contribution to the economy is concerned. In fact, every ninth job within the world is created by the tourism industry. Professionals in hotels and hospitality are in demand in all parts of the world.
The aim of this course is to provide “a cut above the rest” man-power to the ever growing demands of the aviation and hotel industry. This program is an industry-accepted, career-oriented, that prepare you for national and international careers in the aviation & hospitality world. The student will get in-depth knowledge of the principles and operational procedures in the aviation and hospitality industry through right technical training, and also polish their personality & learn to manage customer enquiries effectively, As the opportunity and growth are mentioned below
- Indian aviation is experiencing dramatic growth across the board, from the emergence of LCC/new carriers to a growing middle class ready to travel by air as well as growth in business and leisure travel.
- Large scale collaborations/M&A deals.
- India plans to increase the number of operational airports to 250 by the year 2030.
- The launch of several branding and marketing initiatives by the Government of India such as Incredible India! and Athiti Devo Bhava provides a focused impetus to growth.
Eligibility for Admission: A candidate admitted to any degrees offered by Mangalore University is eligible for admission to a Certificate programme. One who fails to pass the Certificate examination shall not be eligible for admission to Diploma programme and likewise one who fails to pass the Diploma examination shall not be eligible for admission to Advanced Diploma.
SYLLABUS / CURRICULUM : AHM
I year (leading to Certificate)
|AHM Paper I||3||3||100||50||150|
|Pract. I/ Project||3||3||100||50||150|
II year (leading to Diploma)
|AHM Paper II||3||3||100||50||150|
|Pract. II / Project||3||3||100||50||150|
III year (leading to Advanced Diploma)
|AHM Paper III||3||3||100||50||150|
AHM (Certificate) – I PAPER
CHAPTER 1: Principles of Aviation
- The Evolution of Aviation, Growth Drivers, Issues Challenges
- IATA, ICAO, National Aviation Authorities Role of State and Central Governments, Airports Authority of India, Agencies (India) (International).
- Aviation Law, Freedoms of Air Civil Aviation conventions.
- Importance of Personality Development.
- Functional Layout of an Airport, Ground Handling types of Airports, Airports - Civil, Military, Training, Domestic/International, Passenger/Cargo Terminals
- IATA Airline Airport Codes, Aviation Abbreviations, National International Airlines, Types of aircrafts.
CHAPTER 2: Airport Operations
- Airline Terminal Management-Flight Information Counter/Reservation and Ticketing-Check In/Issue of Boarding pass-Customs, Security hold area and Immigration formalities-Co-ordination-Security Clearance
- Baggage and Handling of expectant mother, Un accompanied minors and Disabled Passengers-Handling of Stretcher Passengers and Human Remains.
CHAPTER 3: Hospitality
- Introduction to Hospitality Industry &Organization structures.
- Accommodation Operations, Front Office Guest Rooms Collection and Study of Hotel Brochures and Tariff
- Classification of Hotels , Hotel chains Associations Types of rooms
CHAPTER 4: Accommodation Operations
- Introduction to the Accommodation Operations, Front Office Guest Rooms
- Introduction to Housekeeping, Cleaning Agents and Equipments
- Use of Cleaning Equipments, Agents, Dusting, Cleaning Methods in Housekeeping ,Bed making, Cleaning Guest rooms, Bathrooms,Arranging Maids Trolley, Room Supplies, Room Linen Linen Room
- Flower Arrangement Pest Control
Books for reference:
- The Principles and Practice of International Aviation Law (English)(Paperback)- 2014 Gabriel S. Sanchez Brian F. Havel (Author)
- Airport Management - World Class Beyond Paperback – 2010-by P.C.K. Ravindran (Author)
- Civil Aircraft: 300 of the World's Greatest Civil Aircraft (Expert Guide Series) Hardcover – Import, 1 Jul 2001
- Aviation Hospitality Management (English) (Paperback)-by Ravi Sharma
- Academic Dictionary of Civil Aviation-by R K C Shekar(Author)-2005
- Hotel Housekeeping-Operations and Management- second edition-2011- by G.Raghubalan Smritee Raghubalan (Author)
- Hotel Front Office - Operations and Management-2010-by Jatashankar.R.Tewari (Author)
- Hotel Housekeeping Management Operations-2010-by Sudhir Andrews (Author)
- Hotel Housekeeping-A Training Manual- Second Edition-2011-by Sudhir Andrews (Author)
- Front Office Operations-Fourth Edition-2007-by Colin Dix Chris Baird (Author)
- Introduction to Tourism Hotel Industry - Front Office Management-2010-Mohammed Zulfikar Management (Author)
AHM (Diploma) – I PAPER
CHAPTER 1: Aviation Geography
- Planning travel itineraries Basic steps in itinerary planning
- TC1,TC2 TC3 areas
- Aviation and Airline Terms, Abbreviations and Phonetic Codes, World Time Zones/ International and Domestic Airports, Countries and Capitals
- Currencies around the world, Types of currencies, Currency codes Currency convertors
- Global Indicators
CHAPTER 2: Airport Customer Service
- Airport Procedures, Customer service, Baggage Handling Load control.
- Introduction to air Cargo Dangerous Goods
- Immigration Customs, Time Management, Communications Skills Resume writing Skills.
- Airline Catering Various Bodies
- Airport Aircraft Security
CHAPTER 3: Catering Science and Hygiene
- Introduction to Nutrients, Carbohydrates, Proteins Fats
- Introduction to Minerals, Vitamins, Food Adulteration, Food Additives, Food Preservation and Storage.
- Role of Hygiene in the Catering Industry, Personal Hygiene for Food Handlers, Hygiene in Food Production in Service Area Harmful effects of Food Organisms.
CHAPTER 4: Hospitality Marketing
- Introduction to Hospitality Marketing, basic concepts Market Segmentation.
- Emerging trends Technology in hospitality industry
- Marketing of Food Beverage
Books for reference:
- Aviation Hospitality Management Hardcover – 2012-by Ravi Sharma (Author)
- Aviation, Hospitality and Tourism Management Hardcover – 2012-by L. K. Sharma (Author)
- Global aviation hospitality management 01 Edition (Paperback)-2008- by Gagandeep Singh(Author)
- Aviation Internet Directory: A Guide to the 500 Best Web Sites (Aviation Week Book) Paperback – Import, 1 Sep 2001-by John Allen Merry (Author)
- Text Book Of Hospitality Tourism And Aviation Hardcover – 9 Mar 2011-by P.K. Bal (Author)
- Civil Aviation and Tourism Management Hardcover – 18 Dec 2012--by Singh G. (Author) Soft Skills –Third Edition-by Dr.Alex (Author)
- Soft Skills Enhancing Employability-2010-by M.S.Roa (Author)
- Corporate Grooming and Etiquette Paperback – 1 Jun 2010 by Sarvesh Gulati (Author)
- Dangerous Goods (English) (Paperback)- 2013 December by Sean Hill (Author)
AHM (Advanced Diploma) – I PAPER
Chapter I: In Flight Safety and Security
- Introduction of In Flight safety and security
- Crew duties on board, Documentation used by Cabin Crew, Departments in an Airline/ CC Protocol, Embarkation and Disembarkation Procedures for Passenger, Special Handling of Passenger Regulatory Requirements
- In flight Ground Announcements – Regional language, English Hindi
- Emergencies on Board, Safety Equipment, Fire and Depressurization, Evacuation on Land and Water / Brace Positions / Jungle and Sea Survival &Doors.
- Anti Terrorism and Bomb Scare, Hijack and its history
- The role of crew resources management the trouble with culture
Chapter 2: DGR (Dangerous Goods) Screening
- Introduction-Purpose General Philosophy.
- Applicability, Limitations, Classifications, Identification, Packing and its tests, Marking Labeling, Documentation, Handling, Radioactive material,
- Nine Appendixes.
- Introduction, Facilities, Screening check Point Augmentation.
- Metal detectors, Hand Held Body Scanners
Chapter 3: Cargo Transportation Management
- Operations and Industry ,Types of cargo-Handling of Perishable, Valuable Cargo and Special Cargo. Air cargo Tariff, Rates Charges – Valuation charges and Disbursement
- Types of Aircraft - Passenger, Cargo and Combi Aircrafts
- Loading Principles-Weight and Volume considerations – Usage of Spreaders, Cargo needing special attention and Restrictions in Air Cargo Acceptance
- General Overview of the Manual,Precedence and Principles of Rating, Rounding-off Weights, Dimensions and currency.
- Documentation in Cargo Transportation
- Airway Bill,Legal disposition of AWB (Airway Bill), its features and validity
- Master Airway Bill (MAWB).
- Handling Facility,Airport Cargo Activity Cargo Zone.
- Emerging trend in Cargo Cargo Carriers.
Chapter 4: Principles of Food Production
- Introduction to Cookery, Kitchen Staffing, Professional Attributes
- Kitchen Tools and Equipment, Aims and Objectives of Cooking Food
- Methods of Cooking Food, Vegetables and Fruits, Egg Cookery Fish Mongery
- Organization Structure in the Kitchen
- Meat and Poultry
- Portion Control
- Culinary Terms
- Rice,Cereals,Pulses and Sprouts
- Milk and Cheese
- Herbs, Indian Spices and Masalas
Chapter 5: Catering Science and Hygiene
- Introduction to Nutrients, Carbohydrates, Proteins , Fats, Minerals, Vitamins , Food Adulteration, Food Additives, Food Preservation and Storage
- Role of Hygiene in the Catering Industry, Personal Hygiene for Food Handlers, Hygiene in Food Production in Service Area.
- Harmful effects of Food Organisms.
Chapter 6: F B Services (Food Beverage)
- Introduction to the Hospitality Industry, Departmental Organization, Staffing Equipment
- Introduction to Glassware, Crockery, Cutlery and Equipment, Auxiliary Areas of F B
- The Menu - Origin and Types, Menu Planning , Covers Accompaniments
- Restaurant Set Up - Types of Services
- Table Set Up Services
- Breakfast Tea Service
- System of Order Taking, Taking Guest Order, Methods of Billing and Payments, Billing Procedure Banqueting
- Alcoholic Non Alcoholic Beverages
- Service of Wines
- Spirits Service of Spirits
- Beers Service of Beers and Liquors
- Cocktails Mocktails
Books for reference:
- Aviation Security: Federal Action Needed to Strengthen Domestic Air Cargo Security Paperback – Import, 1 Jan 2011
- The Air Logistics Handbook: Air Freight and the Global Supply Chain Paperback – Import, 27 Jun 2013
- Aviation Security: Vulnerabilities and Potential Improvements for the Air Cargo System: Report to Congressional Requesters (English) (Paperback)-2013- by U S Department of Transportation (Author)
- Aviation Terrorism and Security (Political Violence) Paperback – Import, 1 Mar 1999-by Paul Wilkinson (Author), Brian Jenkins (Author)
- Emergency Response Guidebook: A Guidebook for First Responders during the Initial Phase of a Dangerous Goods/Hazardous Materials Transportation Incident (A Guidebook for First Responders during the Initial Phase of a Dangerous Goods/Hazardous Materials Transportation Incident) Paperback – Import, 25 Jun 2013 -by U S Department of Transportation (Author)
- Aviation and Hospitality Hardcover – 1 Dec 2008-by Shailendra Sengar (Author)
- Modern Cookery-Sixth Edition-Vol I II -2014-by Thangam E.Philip (Author)
- Food Beverage Service – Third Edition – by Dennis.R.Lillicrap John.A.Cousins (Author)
- Food Beverage Service-2007- by Bobby George (Author)
- Institutional Food Management –2011-by Mohini Sethi (Author)
- Fundamentals of Foods, Nutrition and Diet Therapy-Fifth Edition -2008- by Sumati R.Mudambi M.V.Rajagopal (Author)
- Managing Service in Food Beverage Operations- Fourth Edition-2012- By Ronald .F.Cichy Philip J.Hickey,Jr. (Author)
- Food Science – Fifth Edition – 2007- by Norman N.Potter Joseph H. Hotchkiss (Author)
- Fundamentals of Foods, Nutrition and Diet Therapy-Sixth Edition -2012- by Sumati R.Mudambi M.Sc.,M.S.Ph.D M.V.Rajagopal M.Sc.,Ph.D (Author
- Food Beverage Service-2014-by R.Singaravelavan (Author)
- Food Hygiene and Sanitation – Second Edition -2012-by Sunetra Roday (Author).
Additional Manuals on each topics of AHM (Certificate, Diploma Advanced Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Management) are available in Library…